We often eat too much without feeling hungry, and just can’t get enough. Meanwhile, our body has a special intuition that allows to accurately choose the food that is needed at a particular moment. That’s when you should learn about principles of intuitive eating. Let’s check them out.
What Exactly Is It?
The term “intuitive eating” sounds like we are talking about diet compiled with the assistance of mystical powers. But, in fact, the opposite is true. Principles of intuitive eating are nothing more than a reasonable and rational approach to food. And it’s not a diet at all.
7 Aspects of Intuitive Eating
Consider those pillars of the advanced philosophy of nutrition:
- Say no to diets. Intuitive eating approach is radically different from diets. At the heart of any of them is the rejection of a certain foodstuff. Sooner or later, restrictions lead to breakdowns and overeating. Hence the first principle of intuitive nutrition – “Give the body what it needs”.
- Learn to be reasonable about food. The main mistake of beginners is a lack of self-control. People who start following that approach think that they can eat everything and in any quantities. However, it will soon become evident that fried potatoes or muffins cause heaviness in the stomach. Once you understand it, you will make a conscious choice in favor of aware eating.
- Learn to distinguish between hunger and appetite. Eat when you feel moderate hunger. That’s one of the main intuitive eating principles. And you shouldn’t order a dessert just because it makes your mouth water.
- Don’t ignore the feeling of satiation. Put down your fork when you realize that you’ve eaten your fill (or better yet, almost done it). You do not need to finish everything just because you were taught not to leave anything on the plate in your childhood. If you stop at the right time, you’re on your way to attuned eating and healthy life.
- Make peace with your food. Stop counting calories and dividing your meal into proteins, fats and carbohydrates. You’ve seen pizza before and you’ve asked yourself: “How many calories is it?” For supporters of the reasonable eating, pizza is just pizza, and they ask themselves only one question: “Do I want to eat it?”
- Food is not a reward. Do you wonder how to practice intuitive eating? Stop perceiving food as a kind of encouragement. Just change the format. After fulfilment of an uphill task, don’t catch at a bar of chocolate. Choose another reward like visiting an exhibition, meeting with friends, or buying a perfume with a note of cocoa.
- Enjoy your meal. If you do not like the contents of your plate and the process of eating, you will eat more to compensate this feeling of dissatisfaction. That usually leads to overnutrition.
How to Lose Weight with Intuitive Eating?
The intuitive nutrition system is not a diet, but a way of life, so the fight against excess weight is not in the first place. However, the fact is that upon completely transforming your eating habits, your body will change for the better.
Intuitive vs Emotional Eating
Emotional nutrition is eating under the influence of an emotional state and not feeling satiation. Emotional nutrition means that it is your mood, not your body, that dictates the time and place of your meal, the type of foodstuff, and the amount you consume. The intuitive eating, on the contrary, is governed by your mind rather than by emotional rises and falls.
Intuitive nutrition is easy. However, for many people it may seem a bit challenging. You should completely change the approach to food culture. But once you do it, you will never want (or need) to go on a diet again.